Péter Szijjártó: We will do everything to free the last Hungarian hostage.

On New Year's Day, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade Péter Szijjártó had a telephone conversation with Ron Dermer, the Israeli government's minister responsible for strategic affairs.

"While we reviewed the situation in the Middle East, I confirmed the Hungarian position:

we stand for the fact that Israel has the right to defend itself and that it is in the interest of the entire international community that a terrorist attack like the one that hit Israel never happens again anywhere in the world"

- wrote in his Facebook post .

"Of course, we also talked about the hostage situation. Unfortunately, Ron Dermer confirmed the sad news published in the media, according to which the body of a hostage with dual Israeli-Hungarian citizenship was found.

At the same time, we mutually confirmed our commitment in order to free the hostage with dual – therefore partially Hungarian – citizenship, who is still in the captivity of Hamas, Péter Szijjártó concluded his post.

One of the Israeli hostages with Hungarian citizenship was declared dead

Ilan Weiss, one of the Hungarian-citizen Israeli hostages, was declared dead, his community, the Beeri kibbutz, announced on Monday. Ilan Weiss was listed as missing since the terrorist attack of the Islamist Hamas organization on October 7, but it was announced on Monday that he died on the "Black Saturday" that caused the outbreak of the Gaza war, reports MTI.

Weiss, 56, left his home in the Beeri kibbutz next to the zone on the morning of the massacre to join the kibbutz's emergency response team. His family had not heard from him since 7:15 that morning.

His wife, Siri, and daughter, Noga, were captured and held hostage in the Gaza Strip, but were released on November 25 as part of a ceasefire brokered by Qatar and the United States between Hamas and Israel.

Ilan Weiss's two older daughters, Meital and Majan, lived in an independent student apartment in the kibbutz, where they survived the attack by locking themselves in their shelter for 12 hours until the Israeli soldiers arrived.

"He was a well-known and respected person in his community, which he loved so much," the kibbutz said in a statement announcing his death. The death of Ilan Weiss was established by an investigation by the Israeli Institute of Forensic Medicine.

Photo: Facebook / Péter Szijjártó